Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Why Libertarianism sucks

Tags: to do [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Politics | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 01:05
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

Level: 8
CS Original

Need some quick bullet points to digest, please.

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 01:13
(0)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

Level: 3

Because you're lazy. :P

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 01:13
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

Yup.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 01:37
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

It's ideologically driven, ignores history, ignores generally accepted rules of economics, ignores history, ignores political reality, totally at odds with any form of workable political or economic theory.

An immature and unrealistic philosophy generally embraced by male adolescents, or those who think like male adolescents. Matt said "libertarians are Republicans who smoke pot and shop at Whole Foods," and that's pretty spot-on, because there's not much more to libertarianism than that.

Ironically the insulation that libertarian ideas have from the mainstream--the fact that nobody in their right mind will ever elect a libertarian to any office of significant political power--is what keeps the ideology going. Because their ideas are too fringe to ever be voted into power, they will never be proven wrong, and supposedly this means that they've never failed (which I guess is technically true).

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 01:59
(0)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

"...shop at Whole Foods,"

pft. I never even been in a Whole Foods. I like my frankenfood, tyvm.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 03:15
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

CS Original

Didn't you make a topic like this before Omni? Muertos is right though, basically if it's a young, white male, it's safe to say they're no different from CTs in regard to Libertarianism. I'm much more interested to ask "why?" when it's a woman, non-white, or unprivileged person.

What I've never understood about Libertarians is that so many promote private business and private research, but promote organic food and talk about how bad Monsanto is. If anything Monsanto would be good, not bad.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 03:20
(0)

Level: 6
CS Original

It's private tyranny, plain and simple. You're allowing organizations driven by nothing but unbridled self-interest to rent people as they please, while simultaneously removing most if not all restrictions put in place to keep them from harming both the public and their employees.

Just look up the joyful working conditions in pre-labor law factories. If you're a teenage girl, wouldn't you enjoy getting rid of those dictatorial government regulations forcing you to get a proper education and join the local match factory instead?
http://www.mernick.org.uk//thhol/thelink.html

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 03:26
(0)

CS Original

But Jesus, you can just quit your job there or not buy products from them!

And in the words of on Libertarian Party leader (can't recall his name), but "Some children actually want to be able to work," in regard to child labor laws.

PS Post stuff in the right forum, Omni!

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JoePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 11:28
(0)

CS Original

I am not sure if this true but I heard that despite thier love affair with her; Ayn Rand refered to them as "right-wing, drug using hippies".

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 20:48
(0)

CS Original

That doesn't sound really true, mostly because it wasn't until the late 80s that anyone even really knew who the Libertarians were. Sure they started in the 1970s, but even in the 80s and early 90s no one really cared, I guess we can blame the Internet.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 20:58
(0)

Actually no, we've been around for a few hundred years. Back then we were called 'liberals.'

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 20:59
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Now you're called "twerps."

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:00
(0)

CS Original

Only if you co-opt terms invented by other people. "Libertarianism" prior to the American Libertarian Party referred to anarchism, specifically non-capitalist anarchism. But yes, it used to be called liberalism way back when, but if Ayn Rand is quoted as using the word "libertarian," my point is the quote probably is't real.

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:09
(0)

Q: What do you think of the Libertarian Party? [FHF: “A Nation’s Unity,” 1972]

Ayn Rand: I’d rather vote for Bob Hope, the Marx Brothers, or Jerry Lewis. I don’t think they’re as funny as Professor Hospers and the Libertarian Party. If, at a time like this, John Hospers takes ten votes away from Nixon (which I doubt he’ll do), it would be a moral crime. I don’t care about Nixon, and I care even less about Hospers. But this is no time to engage in publicity seeking, which all these crank political parties are doing. If you want to spread your ideas, do it through education. But don’t run for President—or even dogcatcher—if you’re going to help McGovern.

(Note: I'm neither a supporter of Objectivism or The LP)

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:15
(0)

CS Original

So she didn't refer to them as how most people see them now, what a surprise...

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
GenogzaPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:32
(0)

Life's Too Short

Level: 1
CS Original

Topics like this disappoint me sometimes about this forum. While I love this place and everyone here, I find threads like this a little juvenile. I'm convinced some people here hate on libertarians just to hate on them, like fanboys and the hoo-rah crowd. Nothing but shallow generalizations. No different then me saying libertarians are stone age anarchists, or liberals are collectivist communists, or conservatives are all religion zealot fascists. It's crap, that doesn't get anyone anywhere.

I'm also convinced some of you have never actually sat down and talk to real libertarians, outside of a few message boards here and there. I'm talking about real people, in the real world. Not all libertarians are Paultards, CT's, Ayn Rand flag wavers, or anarchists, nor do they all subscribe to absolutes, like no government or a hair of government. Infact, if you followed the Libertarian Party at all, you would see there's a lot of them that aren't in favor of Ron Paul.

The problem with Libertarians or the party is actually people LIKE Ron Paul. Because Ron Paul does not compromise, which many Libertarians don't like about him. If there were ever a true Libertarian in any significant power, it would be because he was willing to compromise. Like Muertos had said, it's the extremism of people like Ron Paul, or his son Rand that scares people away from Libertarianism, because that's what they see on TV, and what they know about Libertarians. The fringe group.

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:39
(0)

CS Original

So you're saying that even though it's clearly crank-magnetic, we shouldn't point that out? Moderate libertarians aren't hard to find, they exist even on this site, and there are plenty of young, white, privileged American males ready to tell the world how libertarianism is great.

What's your real complaint? You're upset because libertarianism attracts so many nuts and isn't taken seriously? This does't make you sound much different from that TeeZedem guy.

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:47
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I'm glad this topic disappoints Genogza.

Also fuck libertardians.

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
GenogzaPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:50
(0)

Life's Too Short

CS Original

Upset? No. Disappointed, maybe. But not about how Libertarians are looked at. A lot of them do it to themselves. And your generalization about young, white, privileged American libertarians is way off. I know many libertarians of all colors. Some that live just a few houses away from me. Mostly black.

As for attracting cranks, yes they certainly do. But so do some liberals and so do many conservatives. They pump cranks out of the woodwork too.

Matt, I'm use to you, so I embrace your 2 cents. Love you right back.

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:50
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

Why are you glad about that, Matt?

#20 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
GenogzaPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:52
(0)

Life's Too Short

CS Original

Because he likes to piss in people's kool aid. Not that I blame him. It's fun sometimes.

#21 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:53
(0)

CS Original

Yes and Jeff Rense knows tons of Jews too.

#22 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
GenogzaPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:55
(0)

Life's Too Short

CS Original

That's not a good analogy, and a bad comparison. I'm black. Jeff Rense is not Jewish.

#23 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:57
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Genogaza why do you hate Jews?

#24 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
GenogzaPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 21:59
(0)

Life's Too Short

CS Original

lol Why do you hate freedom?

#25 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 22:01
(0)

CS Original

Who cares how libertarians are looked at? Either the ideology is sound or it isn't, regardless of whether its adherents enjoy public respect or ridicule.

#26 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 22:03
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

I think libertarian ideology is stupid, intellectually stunting, and utterly devoid of rigorous understanding of socio-political issues. That said, Omni, you should come to your own opinion of these things. I think coming and asking "why libertarians suck" is essentially being lazy. I came to disagree with libertarians because I actually read the fundamental texts of political ideology as well as many critiques. One of the most valuable things I learned in college actually came from a team mate of mine who strongly cautioned against taking your political views from others. You will never have as deep of an understanding as if you came to the conclusions by your own right.

As for Gengoza's claim, I actually have spoken with many libertarians, am related to a few, and have engaged in real conversation with them. I am not concerned with the extremes. Libertarianism itself is a fools ideology predicated on a myopic set of axioms regarding economics and human social life. I don't need paul tards or ayn rand groupies to have a problem with the central philosophy. Just like I dont need Glenn Beck to disagree with hard-line conservatives.

#27 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 22:04
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

lol Why do you hate freedom?

Freedom leads to people being libertardians. It must be crushed.

#28 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
GenogzaPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 22:04
(0)

Life's Too Short

CS Original

I personally don't care. I guess I expected more consistency towards all political spectrums here. Guess I'm wrong. Oh well. I'll go back to drinking some beer.

#29 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 19, 2011 - 22:06
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

You care, admit it.

#30 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]