Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - The Return of Sopa

It's that time again

Tags: Sopa, greedy, mean, sign the petition, if you don't the internet will turn to shit, petition, sign, NOW, do it, do it like she like it [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Politics | Reply to Topic ]
ClockPosted: Aug 25, 2013 - 08:50
(0)

:')

Level: 5
Well everybody, Sopa has officially returned to screw us over once again. Here is the link that proves this return. Now what can you do to stop it?

SIGN VARIOUS PETITIONS!!!!!!!!!
---

But seriously guys and gals, sign this petition.

I know you have to login, and you will not probably feel like doing so because you're very lazy, but come on, even Alex Jones is signing this petition.

So yeah... do it, pretty please?!
#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
emcadaPosted: Aug 26, 2013 - 13:19
(0)

Level: 0
I'm sorry I don't see what they're getting worked up about. Usually live streams are handled by people who are apart of the group putting on the live show (ie they have access too), unless there's something I'm missing here.
#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
ClockPosted: Aug 26, 2013 - 20:00
(0)

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
ClockPosted: Aug 26, 2013 - 20:40
(0)

Dammit. I support a deal I hate.

Users uploading illegal content
Lateef Mtima, director of the Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice at Howard University School of Law, expressed concern that users who upload copyrighted content to sites could potentially be held criminally liable themselves, saying, "Perhaps the most dangerous aspect of the bill is that the conduct it would criminalize is so poorly defined. While on its face the bill seems to attempt to distinguish between commercial and non-commercial conduct, purportedly criminalizing the former and permitting the latter, in actuality the bill not only fails to accomplish this but, because of its lack of concrete definitions, it potentially criminalizes conduct that is currently permitted under the law."
An aide to Rep. Smith said, "This bill does not make it a felony for a person to post a video on YouTube of their children singing to a copyrighted song. The bill specifically targets websites dedicated to illegal or infringing activity. Sites that host user content--like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter--have nothing to be concerned about under this legislation."

So if I get this straight, only torrenting websites would suffer from this bill? The documentation is confusing.
#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Aug 27, 2013 - 04:24
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original
No the bill is aimed at any sites that host copyrighted material, sites that are specifically designed without any intention to vet and remove commercially available material from their websites.

In other words places with names like watchtvfreeonline watchmoviesfreeonline, or downloadmovies4free etc... Since youtube have a policy of removal of copyrighted material in place.

It puts responsibility onto the site owners, managers, and hosts as well as search engines, and isp's to either remove the infringing content if they want the page to operate without it on there, or to remove the entire site. Also the removal of search hits that link to the sites in all worldwide territories preventing any new traffic to it.

It's pretty much just a way to electronically delete copyrighted material, and place responsibility onto people who ignore the law in order to solicit online business.

Attacking freedom of speech and censorship of it are not the intentions of this bill, and all wording of it is either twisted or invented by pirates in order to defend their moral view that people who work in the arts and media industry should work for free, and that the industry is out to manipulate public opinion of free speech advocates. blah blah, same fucking trope every time when people have to pay for shit they like stealing.
#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Aug 27, 2013 - 11:57
(1)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

CS Original
I WANT FREE STUFF!
#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Aug 27, 2013 - 22:59
(1)

Level: 6
CS Original
Sopa 2 is exploitable nonsense, but it's just a green paper, marginally above "toilet paper".

It's probably smart not to let it gain momentum, but this is still miles away from legislation.
#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]