Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Republican Senator Will Introduce Legislation to 'Defund' NPR

[ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Politics | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Oct 22, 2010 - 11:57
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Republican Senator Jim DeMint has confirmed that he will introduce legislation to cut federal funding from NPR after they fired analyst Juan Williams for making insensitive comments about Muslims on Fox. The Right's war on NPR has begun in earnest!

Tonight on The O'Reilly Factor, Bill O'Reilly followed his Fox colleague Mike Huckabee in calling for "an immediate suspension of all public money going to NPR" because of Williams' firing. He also added, "We understand [South Carolina] Senator Jim Demint will introduce legislation to defund that enterprise. No taxpayer money should be going to an outfit that abuses free speech." (CNN has confirmed DeMint's intention.)

So, now Republicans will likely make a huge stink about stripping funds from a radio network best-known for afternoon chats between obscure jazz musicians and a hippie lady who could be the head research librarian at Cat Fanciers University, story time for emotionally stunted 30-somethings hosted by a skinny twee dude, story time for unfulfilled 40-somethings hosted by a chubby midwestern dude, and "The World's Most Annoying Radio Show, Ever" (known in some markets as "Car Talk").

But NPR says government funding makes up only two percent of its budget. So if public funding is cut NPR will still exist--only their fund-raising drives will be that much more obnoxious. The Right really knows how to hit Liberals where it hurts.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10/republican-senator-will-introduce-legislation-to-defund-npr.php?ref=fpb

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Oct 22, 2010 - 12:02
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

Yawn. Republicans love to threaten to defund arts and media but they never follow through on it. How many times have they threatened to pull funding from PBS? Then all you need is a "Jim DeMint wants to kill Big Bird!" meme and they'll back down.

Republicans cave on this shit every single time.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Oct 22, 2010 - 12:04
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

It wasn't even a political firing. Williams violated his contract, which will get you shitcanned regardless of where you work.

NPR has barred its employees from attending Jon Stewart's rally in DC. By wingnut logic, wouldn't that make NPR a GOP shill organization?

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Oct 22, 2010 - 12:08
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

What? You can't apply logic to Republican reasoning.

Why do you hate America and hate our freedoms?

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Oct 22, 2010 - 12:10
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I WANT TO EAT UR FREEDOMS FOR LUNCH OM NOM NOM NOM

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Oct 22, 2010 - 12:51
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

Only 2%? We should increase funding, to reduce their annoying pledge drives

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Oct 22, 2010 - 12:54
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Domokato is a genius and I agree.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Oct 22, 2010 - 20:04
(0)

Level: 12
CS Original

I still think Fox should fire Palin for supporting Juan.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
scitopsPosted: Oct 24, 2010 - 22:08
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

Personally I would love to see NPR and PBS expaneded. I would use them to have objective news programing to counter the opinionated crap we see at FOX, MSNBC, and eve more at CNN. I would also like to see some actual documentaries instead of the garbage that polutes the History Channel and the Discovery Channel.

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]