Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - The economic views of Conspiracy Science

[ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Economics and Business | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 16:45
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

For the benefit of the Zeitard lurkers who seem curious about our economic views, I thought a thread where we declare them might be helpful.

I am a regular ole Keynesian.

What say you?

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 16:46
(0)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original

I honestly don't know enough about economics to claim a specific view on it.

Not Austrian, not RBE, but that's about it.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 16:59
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

keynesian makes sense to me.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 17:09
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

Keynesian/Capitalist.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 17:12
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original

I actually follow the idea laid out by Karl Polanyi and, to a limited extent, Marcel Mauss. I disagree with the idea that economic activity is separable from social spheres and so to understand economics we should have a more anthropological understanding of economic systems.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 17:33
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

I am totally bored by economics. Generally I'm limited free market, I think competition is fine, with reasonable government regulation and a few nationalized industries (energy, I think, should be a public utility, as well as airlines and sports franchises).

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 17:49
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

"I disagree with the idea that economic activity is separable from social spheres and so to understand economics we should have a more anthropological understanding of economic systems."

Explain.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
AKBastardPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 19:30
(0)

CS Original

Keynesian, though I do subscribe to a handful of Milton Friedman. Minus the gold standard nonsense and his libertardarian ideas such as legalizing drugs and hookers.

Basically, I think competition and scarcity can be a good thing.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 19:48
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

"I do subscribe to a handful of Milton Friedman"

woo-woo

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 19:59
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

I'm really indecisive about this. But then, I'm 20 years old - so that doesn't really matter. I do have a 'if it's not broke don't fix it' attitude some of the time, so, perhaps, I would say, if our current economic models do last - then why change them? They only ought be altered if they fail or are causing obvious inequalities.

Many would argue that they are, but I'm not just going to accept that because someone says it. So, I don't know.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 20:08
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original

@Matt

I disagree with the underlying principle in economics as an epistemologically separate field where we assume rational actors for our models. Economic study doesn't account for cultural values nor how social patterns and historical particularism interact with complex structures in our financial system. Consider that free-market capitalism doesnt exist because of all the contingencies that exist to block pure implementation. Now think about how much more stable and complete of a picture we would have if we stopped making some fundamentally flawed assumptions about human behavior and economic activity. For a more complete understanding, I really do suggest Polanyi's "The Great Transformation" which talks about how our contemporary view of economics emerged from this very division between the two spheres (or rather false division).

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
AKBastardPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 20:13
(0)

CS Original

Matt - He's not that woo'ish. He understood the role of the Federal Reserve.

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 20:23
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

I think that as long as economics continues to take the trend of following decision making based on what we know about the world, things should be pretty fine.

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]